Sunday, August 21, 2016

Sermon: Do Not Say

"Do Not Say"
Jeremiah 1: 4-10; 1 Corinthians 12: 4-10
by Rev. Carson Overstreet
Van Wyck Presbyterian Church
August 21, 2016

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’

Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.’

But the Lord said to me,
‘Do not say, “I am only a boy”;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.’

Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,
‘Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.’
- Jeremiah 1: 4-10

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 1 Corinthians 12: 4-10

Before Jeremiah was formed in the womb, God knew the gifts which would be bestowed upon him. We are truly fearfully and wonderfully made as the psalmist says (Psalm 139: 14). Jeremiah has the nickname of the Weeping Prophet. He came alongside the people of God during a traumatic time in their history. Jeremiah was given the gift of words to help the people articulate their painful experience.

But Jeremiah also received the gift of prophecy. He came from a lineage of priests so maybe this was no surprise to his family. It was a tough job of being God’s mouth piece. The prophets said some challenging words to move the people from places of unfaithfulness to follow God in deeper commitment. I am not sure any individual would jump at the chance to be a prophet. While it is an honored office in serving the Lord, it is not a popular one when you are hanging out with the people and bringing words of woe and judgment held in the tension of God’s grace.

And so at a very young age God speaks in a very strong affirmation for Jeremiah to follow God’s leading in this very particular way. Jeremiah’s response is so realistic and it is one you and I can identify with. Jeremiah replies with a painful interjection, “Ah, Lord God! I don’t know how to do this! I am too young! I am just a boy” (Jer 1: 6).

Looking back into the Good Book, when God called Noah to build the ark and Abraham to go to the land of God’s promises they both did so without question (Genesis 6:22; 12:4). Somehow the human mold has broken because folks are not made like that anymore! As the history of our spiritual ancestors moved along, God’s call was met with some push back.

Jacob wrestled with God when he was called to face the conflict with his brother Esau (Genesis 32:24). Moses had a thousand reasons to get out of God’s call to lead the people into freedom. Moses said, “Who am I that I should go?” (Exodus 3:11). “What if the people don’t believe me?” (Exodus 4:1). “I don’t have eloquent words” (Exodus 4:10). Moses even said, “God please send someone else!” (Exodus 4:13). When God called Gideon to be a mighty warrior, he cowered in weakness and then asked God to show a sign to prove he was to go” (Judges 6:15, 17). When God called Isaiah to be a prophet his first reply was that he was not worthy enough (Isaiah 6: 5).

I will never forget the day I began to feel God’s call. I was an active church member and a leader of small group ministry. One particular April morning ten years ago I had a lot on my heart. I loved being a stay at home mom raising my two young daughters, who were at that time ages 3 and 5. I loved being a participant in Bible studies. I loved leading a small group for moms. I loved serving the church. I loved coming alongside others to hold the hard parts of life. But that particular morning as I was putting my youngest in the car I had a little conversation with God. “God tell me what are you doing through all of this in my life? What do you want from me? Where does all of this lead?” I can hear my mom say, "You should be careful what you pray for."

Later that very morning I ran into my pastor in the church mail room. He stopped me to talk a bit. And then he asked me a question. “When are you going to seminary?” I just looked at him like a deer in headlights. “What do you mean? Do you think I should go to seminary?” I asked. He just smiled at me and said, “Yes I do. You have a pastor’s heart and you need to go.” We talked more in that mail room. And when I left that conversation I thought that I was going to throw up.

Three days later I flew to Saint Paul, Minnesota for a week-long conference for small group leadership training. The entire conference was held in a beautiful hotel. Hundreds of people attended, both pastors and church leaders alike. Every day someone asked me if I was a pastor. It was weird. As I talked with other young clergy and listened to their call stories they sounded familiar to me. I thought maybe God is calling me. I felt sick with each thought.

That sick feeling I had was a two-sided emotion. I was terrified of taking the next step to follow God. I did not fully know what would be required of me or if I could really do what God was asking. I had plenty of excuses like Moses and Jeremiah. It was a big decision to pull up roots to go to seminary and possibly ordained ministry with a husband and young children. I said God, I don’t think I can do this. God, there are no ministers in my family. God I am not worthy enough to do this. And when it came time to preach I just said - God, please send someone else.

But I was also excited to discern just where God might take my gifts to intersect the needs of the world. I did want a theological education but I really had not imagined myself as a pastor. Doug and I prayed about it for one year. And with all of the questions and all the queasy anxiety, we had a peace about saying yes to God. We did not know how it would all work out, but God has indeed led us one step at a time over the past ten years. And when the road gets rough and even when I fail, God is always there to help.

When Jeremiah pushed back against God’s call, God said, “Do not say I am only a boy” (Jer 1:7). Do not say I am too young. Do not say I am unqualified. Do not say I do not know enough. Do not say I don’t have the right words. Do not say I can’t do that.

The Apostle Paul assures us “There are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good” (1 Corinthians 12: 4-7).

Not everyone is called to be a prophet or a pastor. But God does have a calling on each and every person’s life. The Spirit discloses to you and to me some gift of being with God and others that gives us a sense of joy in serving God. That joy is not merely happiness; it is a keener awareness of God’s grace.

That gift might be the ability to offer words of wisdom and encouragement out there in the world – on the sports field, at work, or at the post office. Maybe you have the gift of teaching at home, in schools, in the neighborhood Bible study or here at church. Maybe you have gifts of healing to serve in the medical field. Maybe you have the gift of discernment when it comes making decisions. Maybe you have the gift of music or creativity with dance, art or writing. Maybe you have the gift of empathy which gives others a shoulder to lean on. Maybe you have the gift of mercy and you can sit with that grieving friend in long moments of silence. God gives us many gifts and activities so that God’s glory might shine through us and bring about the common good of the kingdom.

Right now maybe God is nudging you to do a new thing in your life to hone your unique gifts. Or maybe right now you are reflecting back when you first felt God call you to serve in a very particular way. Our first response is usually feeling terrified and anxious.

Author Marianne Robinson says this word of encouragement:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

God knew each of us before we were formed in the womb. God knows the gifts which will be bestowed upon each of us. God knows the right timing to help us hone these God-given abilities. God will show us the next right step even when we fail. God is the only one that already knows our fullest potential to shine the Light of Christ and encourage others in the power of Holy Spirit.

When you begin to feel God nudging, then listen to the whispers of the Spirit. Do not make yourself small and immediately say, “God I am just ________.”

Do not let fear or unworthiness or insecurity paralyze you. Keep a healthy sense of humility for it reminds us that God alone equips us when God calls us to do a new thing or the same thing in a new way. Your baptism and the claim God has upon your life is sufficient for your calling.

God always has the last word in these situations. And God says, “Do not be afraid of what I am asking you to do today. Do not be afraid of where I am sending you. Pray. Trust. Confide in others for discernment. But know...know with your head and your heart that I am with you to deliver you” (adapted from Jeremiah 1:8).

May it be so for us.

In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

Source Referenced:
Marianne Williamson, "A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of 'A Course in Miracles'" (New York: Harper Collins, 1992).

No comments:

Post a Comment