Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sermon: Walking through the Valley

Walking through the Valley
Psalm 23; Ezekiel 34: 11-16a
by Rev. Carson Overstreet
Van Wyck Presbyterian Church
April 22, 2018

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.
- Psalm 23


For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will seek out my sheep.

I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited parts of the land. I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God.

I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak.
- Ezekiel 34: 11-16a

On any given day our eyes behold the awe and wonder of green pastures and still waters. The sunshine is warm on our faces, the light is dancing on the water, there is a gentle breeze in the air. And in that moment, we sense the mystery of God’s presence. The promise of God’s restoration touches our very soul.

I know I am not alone in wishing every day could be like this. I surely felt that way when I was on spring break with my daughters!

The rhythm of life is filled with gentle graces, side-stitching laughter, and joy way down in our hearts. But that rhythm can suddenly take us into the darkest valleys without notice. More times than not, we silently fear walking through the valley of the shadows.

You might be saying, “Pastor, today I am lying down in the green pastures and listening to the water babble and you are killing my tranquil vibe!” And I hear you.

But today, the Spirit is asking us to look into the valley. Today some of us are walking through the valley and we need to know that we are not alone in it.

When you look into the valley, what do you see? This past week I have been seeing the shadows of depression. The valley is that low place filled with gloom and uncertainty. We need to give ourselves permission to talk about our mental health. We need to shine a light into the darkness.

Depression is more common than we think. Statistics from 2017 reveal the following for adults and youth:

1 in 5 adults have a mental health condition such as depression or anxiety; that is over 40 million Americans across the country. That’s also one person in every pew today.

Within the state of South Carolina, 17% or 644,000 adults struggle with a mental health condition. 137,000 adults have seriously considered suicide.

My heart holds many families I have known throughout my life and ministry who grieve a loved one’s death to suicide. This church knows that grief. I know that grief as well; my aunt committed suicide when I was 16 years old.

Our youth are under increasing pressures today and just like the adults, 1 in 5 youth are struggling with a mental health condition. Nearly 11% of South Carolina youth ages 12-17 report suffering from at least one major depressive episode (MDE) in the past year; that is 40,000 youth in our state. The national average is 11.93% with the highest state percentage at 14.64% (Indiana).

7.9% of South Carolina youth ages 12-17 experienced severe depression; that is 25,000 youth in our state.

Major Depression is marked by significant and pervasive feelings of sadness that are associated with self-harm or suicidal thoughts.

Common signs of depression in youth and adults include:

• Changes in sleep
• Changes in appetite
• Lack of concentration
• Loss of energy
• Lack of interest in activities
• Hopelessness or guilty thoughts
• Changes in movement (less activity or increased agitation)
• Physical aches and pains

Depression, anxiety, and mental health conditions like bipolar depression are not just statistics. Many of our families hold stories of a parent, a child, a family member who has low moments and cases of the blues. We often feel compelled to hide our stories because of the stigma and shame attached. We tell ourselves no one will understand. As a result, we suffer in silence as we walk through the valley.

Mental health conditions are not sins. They can develop among any of us. Sometimes we have a genetic predisposition by way of family history. Sometimes depression and anxiety develop from chemical imbalances within our bodies. Some conditions develop out of situations of conflict, change, and hardship that are hard to bounce back from. And sometimes conditions develop without any known causes.

We do not have to live in silence. Silence harbors even more isolation, helplessness, fear, anger, and even self-hatred.

The psalms have a way of speaking into our silence and pain. I cannot read today’s text about the psalmist walking through the valley without holding up the psalmist’s previous cry for help in Psalm 22:

My God, my God, why have your forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest.

But you are holy; enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our ancestors trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried, and were saved, and in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.
(Psalm 22: 1-5).

The psalmist cried out to God in his pain, loneliness, and despair. And as he did the Spirit whispered a word of hope. The psalmist remembered stories of God’s past faithfulness that had been handed down.

The Lord God is our Shepherd and he is acquainted with all our ways. He knows when we are scattered physically, spiritually, and emotionally. The Shepherd’s ultimate concern is our well-being because you and I are part of his flock. Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd, is with us in the valleys of life. He knows the pain we carry because he has carried it himself on the cross (John 10: 11-18).

The Good Shepherd knows our needs. He is at work to restore our weary souls. He will rescue us from all the places to which we have been scattered on our darkest days. He promises to seek us when we are lost, bring us home when we are strayed, bind us up when we are injured, and strengthen us when we are weak (Psalm 23: 1-3; Ezekiel 34:12, 16a-c).

The Psalmist felt God’s presence as he walked through the darkest valley. I have no doubt that the Psalmist walked through the valleys of life more than once. And with every step he was strengthened to affirm “I do not fear for You GOD are with me” (Psalm 23:4). He wrote down his story to share with every generation.

The Psalmist’s words bear hope that our valleys are not the end of the road for us. The Psalmist’s words give us courage to share our stories with God and others who will safely hold them with empathy and compassion.

I have personally struggled with depression since I was in my twenties. Personal situations of failure, hardships, and conflict take me back to the darkest valley. There are times when it is hard to find my way back to the green pastures and the still waters. I remember a stretch of years that I prayed over and over, “Lord, if I could just touch the hem of your robe, I would be healed” (Matthew 9:21).

Looking back, I have found support through good counselors, anti-depressant medication, my husband, my family, trustworthy friends who will bring peanut butter pie when the tears won’t stop, and of course faith. I have experienced God’s presence through each of these supports. And I thank God for being faithful to lead me one step at a time towards healing and wholeness.

My sweet husband Doug gave me permission to share that he struggles with depression too. Depression touches both of our families of origin.

Depression and mental health conditions can be hard to talk about. They can be hard to understand.

Just as one person is diagnosed with heart disease, another is diagnosed with a mental illness. Both individuals need to receive medical care and have a support system to receive healing and achieve wellness.

If you struggle with depression, anxiety, or any mental health condition - or if you recognize any of the common signs in your life or in the life of a loved one - I want you to know four things:

(1) Mental illness is not your fault;
(2) You are not alone;
(3) You are loved beyond measure;
(4) It is important for you to find someone to share your story with.

There is a safe space for you to talk about walking through the valley.

Please come talk with me and know that our conversation is held in confidence. I will pray with you and for you.

Talk with your doctor about the changes you notice in yourself or your loved one.

There are also excellent and trustworthy agencies in our surrounding community with resources for support and care. [1]

No matter what age we are - our state of mental health does not ultimately define you or me. God’s love alone is what defines and redefines us.

God says to us, “Do not fear, I have redeemed you. I have called you by name and you are mine” (Isaiah 43:1).

Know that the Lord is God. It is he that made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture (Psalm 100:3).
God is always in our corner.

So cast your all your anxiety on the Lord because God cares for you and your flock and your shepherd care for you too (1 Timothy 5:7).

The Lord is our Shepherd and he will walk with us through the valley. The Good Shepherd will lead us back to green pastures and still waters to restore or soul.

In the name of God our Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer. Amen.










Van Wyck Presbyterian Church
To meet with the pastor call the church office (803) 285-1895

National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI)
NAMI Piedmont Tri-County
PO Box 3626
Rock Hill, SC 29732-5626
(Serves Chester, Lancaster & York)
www.namipiedmont.org
email: namiptc@gmail.com

Saluda Counseling Center
2400 W. Main St (main office)
Rock Hill, SC 29732
(803) 327-6103
www.thesaludacenter.org
Offices also in Lancaster, Fort Mill, and Chester

Rebound Behavioral Health
134 E Rebound Rd
Lancaster, SC 29720
(803) 810-0995
www.reboundbehavioralhealth.com

*if you or a loved one needs immediate medical assistance always dial 911 first.


No comments:

Post a Comment