Sunday, October 6, 2019

Sermon: "Between the Memories and Questions" ( 2 Timothy 1: 1-14)

Between the Memories and Questions
2 Timothy 1: 1-14
by Rev. Carson Overstreet
Van Wyck Presbyterian Church
October 6, 2019
World Communion Sunday



The Apostle Paul found himself with too much time on his hands. He was serving his third and last prison sentence – this time in Rome (2 Timothy 1: 16-17; Acts 28:16). Sitting in a jail cell gives one a lot of time to think. Memories from his life must have flooded his mind – the good, the bad and the ugly.

God had really done a work in Paul’s life. God turned Paul’s life around 180 degrees from the biggest persecutor of Christians to the biggest proponent for the gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 9: 1-15). As God worked out the Lord’s purposes in Paul’s life, the apostle had been richly blessed by the people of faith God had placed in his life.

And yet the questions hung heavy in the air about the uncertainty of his future and possible death (2 Timothy 4:6-8). Paul knew his time had come and he knew it was having an effect on Timothy. Paul had taken Timothy under his wings and empowered Timothy to rise up in God’s grace and potential. In between the memories and the questions Paul wrote his second letter to Timothy; a young man who was like a son to Paul.

This is where we enter into God’s Word today in 2 Timothy 1: 1-14.

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

To Timothy, my beloved child:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.

Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him. Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.



Paul anticipated Timothy’s tears (2 Timothy 1:4). Paul knew his absence would bring about memories and questions within Timothy’s spirit. And between those memories and questions there would naturally be challenges in ministry that Timothy needed encouragement to overcome. The tender way that Paul offers this encouragement speaks volumes still today.

J Peter Holmes comments on the significance of Paul’s words today:

In the face of tearful memories and tough questions, Paul gave thanks. Paul gave thanks [to God] for the gift of Timothy’s grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice. He gave thanks for Timothy’s faith. He gave thanks for the opportunity to ordain Timothy through the laying on of hands. Amid discouragement or even despondency about the setbacks and challenges, Paul’s gratitude helped Timothy to see that he was part of something so much bigger – Christ’s ministry.

When we face setbacks, pausing to give thanks can make all the difference in the world. Gratitude puts things in perspective.
[1]


Seasons of grief, loss, disappointment, and transition can certainly cast long shadows in our hearts and minds. When these emotional shadows roll in, they threaten to hide the light of hope. Our memories and questions can certainly get the best of us and the rhythm of life loses its joyful beat.

It is in these seasons that practicing gratitude is so very important. Gratitude stirs up our souls and breathes new life into our spirit.

Henri Nouwen says, “Gratitude goes beyond the 'mine' and 'thine' and claims the truth that all of life is a pure gift. In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realize that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline. The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.”

Louise was at a low point in her life. The life that she loved with meaningful work, playing with her three children, and taking long walks with her dog had been snatched away. A life altering accident left Louise diagnosed with a disability. She was left with constant pain, immobility, and three children she could not properly care for. Louise felt she had little to be thankful for.

Louise said, “I thought back to all the advice I had given to my therapy clients over the years on healing emotional pain and moving forward, but even though I knew it worked from the positive feedback I’d received, I couldn’t apply it to myself.”

Louise started to practice the discipline of gratitude. She loved to write so journaling seemed like a good starting point. The first evening she reflected on her day in an effort to write three things she was grateful for. Losing track of time, she stared at a blank page stained with tears.

Louise tried the gratitude journal again the next day. She said,

“I rested my head against the window. I watched a robin tentatively sitting on the garden fence, anxiously watching all directions while trying to keep an eye on the birdseed my son had put on the feeding station before school. For half an hour, this beautiful bird made several trips, came back with friends, and triumphantly cleared all that we had offered.
It dawned on me that while I had been watching, I hadn’t felt sorry for myself once. I had felt in awe of nature and how beautiful it can be. From that I started to become more and more aware and recognize these precious moments as they occurred, which they generally do if you watch for them each day.”

When that spirit of fear and uncertainly rises within us, it is the discipline of gratitude that empowers us to tap into God’s power and love in the world around us. We become more aware of God’s presence in creation, in our relationships, and in the gift of faith. Gratitude completely changes our perspective because it is life-giving.

I encourage you to practice gratitude daily in between your memories and questions. It usually takes 30 days for a habit to take hold. Make strides to thank God for more than things in your life.

Recall your past cherished memories with those you love and give thanks. Daily watch for moments and encounters of God’s grace in nature, and with neighbors and strangers alike. Pay attention to your experiences of awe, wonder, and joy. Record your present experiences of gratitude.

Snap a picture, make a video blog, draw a doodle, write a journal entry, paint your emotions. Record your entries so that your collection of God’s hope will calm the chaos between your memories of questions.

Today we have the opportunity to practice gratitude in the Sacrament of Communion.

When we take the bread of life and the cup of salvation, we give thanks for the fragrance of faith in ordinary elements (2 Corinthians 2:14).

We give thanks to God for the indescribable gift of Jesus’ sacrificial love (2 Corinthians 9:15).

We give thanks for the victory we have in Jesus Christ today and eternally (1 Corinthians 15:57).

We give thanks to God’s Spirit for strengthening our faith when we are weak and our giving our lives purpose to serve God and the world (2 Corinthians 8:16).

We give thanks that no grief, no circumstance, and no uncertainty in our lives will ever separate us from the love we have in Jesus Christ.

Today on this World Communion Sunday, may you experience this precious moment of God’s presence.

And as we step into another week, may gratitude guide you to notice God’s steadfast love, grace, and hope between your memories and questions.

In the name of God our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.

Sources Referenced:

*Artwork "Blue Memories," by Trine Meyer Vogsland
[1] Feasting on the Word: Year C, Volume 4 (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010), Homiletical Perspective, by J. Peter Holmes, p. 137.

No comments:

Post a Comment