Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sermon: Word of Intention (John 1: 1-18)

Word of Intention
John 1: 1-18
by Rev. Carson Overstreet
Van Wyck Presbyterian Church
January 5, 2020
Epiphany Sunday


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.

He was in the world, and the world came into being through him; yet the world did not know him. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth. (John testified to him and cried out, ‘This was he of whom I said, “He who comes after me ranks ahead of me because he was before me.” ’) From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. It is God the only Son, who is close to the Father’s heart, who has made him known.
- John 1: 1-18


It has been said, “A day without intention is a day wasted.” Without intention, our actions have no gainful impact. You and I know all too well that our intentions and actions so easily become misaligned. As a new year begins, many of us feel the need to make a few small repairs to our hearts and minds.

God’s greatest desire is that our intentions and actions will be aligned with his. The Gospel of John proclaims God’s divine intentions and actions. In the beginning “the Word,” the personal wisdom and power of God, held the intent to enter our human experience. God’s intentions were to reveal that God is not distant, but chose to know humanity’s “joy, pain, suffering, and loss” [1]. The eternal nature of God became flesh to show all creation and humanity the Lord’s unconditional and unparalleled love.

The Gospel of John tells us that the Word is the person and work of Jesus Christ. My commentary says, “Light and life are the two ways the Word expresses itself in the world” [2]. In Jesus Christ, God’s intentions act to shine light into the darkness and to bring life from nothingness and even death.

When our lives are touched by Jesus Christ, then we receive God’s power and purpose. From his fullness we receive grace upon grace.

Today we celebrate Epiphany. The twelfth day of Christmas draws near on Monday January 6, therefore, we affirm our faith in God’s self-revelation in Jesus Christ, God’s only Son. According to the Gospel of Matthew, the star guided the magi to discover the Christ Child.

But the Gospel of John wants us to focus upon another layer of the story. The light and love of God’s intentions in Jesus Christ are at work to speak a new revelation of truth into our lives.

The mysterious and creative light and love of God go ahead of us to make all things new. Instead of making a New Year’s resolution, Epiphany offers a spiritual practice of prayerful reflection in this new year with a star word (a word of intention). This spiritual practice has been occurring in the Presbyterian Church for about 30 years.

Star words work like this: Every person in worship will have the opportunity to receive a paper star. Each star has a different word written on it. You do not get to pick the word that you prefer, rather the star word chooses you. The word on your star may be God’s way of revealing a new truth about the light and love of Christ. The spiritual reflection of a star word holds the hope of realigning our intentions and actions with God’s.

The word of intention that chose me last year was “Respect.” I have to be honest – the word disappointed me. I felt that I was already respectful to others; what could I learn from that word, “respect”?

Using Scripture as my guide, I considered how I respect my parents, my spouse and those in authority. As many of us shared insights into the meanings of one another’s star words, three people told me that they interpreted the word “respect” as “respecting myself.” And your insight and interpretation did something to me.

If we are to love God with all our being and love our neighbor as ourselves, then yes- that means I must love and respect myself too. Self-resect made me really consider how I perceive my self-worth. Therefore, I began to set some personal boundaries of self-respect and also set expectations of how I want to be respected. My word of intention has been both humbling and empowering.

A disciple among us shared her star word revelation: My word was “judgement”. As I thought about that word and the different ways that we use judgment in our lives, I reflected on what kind of judgment is used in everyday situations. My prayer has been for better judgment in my decisions. I have also been thinking about judgment in regard to other people and other situations. How have I judged others? It has made me look more closely at how I view the world. To be able to look into someone’s eyes and look beyond what is on the surface has been a revelation for me.

Another disciple shared her star word reflection: My word was "encourage" and I thought it was too easy. I enjoy encouraging people, but this year I've gained a whole new appreciation for the word. What has really stayed on my mind has been the kind of encouragement my church family has given me during a difficult year. A year of disappointment, sadness, and health issues have been offset by sweet words, hugs, delightful visits to our home, and much, much love. But our church family is like that! Encouraging others is just something we do naturally!

When we engage a word of intention as a spiritual discipline, we are inviting God’s Spirit to reflect the character of Jesus Christ through you and me in a new and life-giving way.

This morning we will come forward to the Lord’s Table to receive the bread of life and the cup of salvation. The gifts of God symbolize the life and love that Jesus Christ gives to us from manger to grave and in his saving death and resurrection.

These gifts are given to light the way forward with the fullness of God’s grace. The bread and the cup strengthen and nurture our faith as we begin a new leg of this spiritual journey together as Christ’s disciples.

As we taste the goodness of God, let God’s word of intention choose you. There is a new revelation of truth that Christ desires to speak into our lives.

Just imagine how the Word of God’s wisdom and power might dwell in us and empower us to be more Christ-like!

In the name of God our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer. Amen.

Sources Referenced:

[1] New Interpreter’s Bible Commentary: Volume VIII, Luke, John (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2015), p. 445.
[2] New Interpreter’s Bible: Volume VIII, p. 445.

No comments:

Post a Comment